Sunday, March 18, 2012

What better place to celebrate St Patrick's Day then with...

the Kiwi's! A shuttle van started running guests to New Zealand's Scott Base at 7:30 pm. I went on the first one and we got there 15 minutes later and went straight to the pub. All the decorations were out and the Guinness was flowing. Andrew, the base engineer that gave the yacht club presentation on the yacht Kokomo, greeted me. I had a really good time. By 10 pm it was totally packed so I escaped when I saw the shuttle van arrive. The last van was scheduled to leave at 10:45 anyway.

The Pub at Scott Base

A Kiwi can crusher. Place can on top, depress foot bar at bottom. The next video shows it in action.


Lots of decorations.




The Pub's view looking onto the Ross Ice Shelf.


A stout and delicious Guinness.



Andrew from the yacht club.

New Zealand won the last rugby Ross Island Cup two years ago. It hasn't been played since because so many people got hurt. Rugby is played on the ice here.

The bartenders.


The moon.

This guy said I didn't have any green on so...

he painted my beard!


Time for bed.
 Another wonderful day at the bottom of the world!

Weather

Currently On Station
-22°C|-7.6°F
Temperature
-34.7°C|-30.5°F
Wind Chill
Skies: Cloudy
Visibility (miles): 5 in Snow and Blowing Snow
Winds (knots): NE @ 15
Station Pressure: 29.275 in.
Updated: Mar 19, 2012 07:00 AM


 

4 comments:

  1. Mike you look good in a green beard!!! Thank you for another wonderful reportage!! Pretty soon you will be in the dark 24-7 right? Maybe you should start a tanning booth business so people would ge some Vitamin D. Did they feed you corned beef and cabbage with the Guinness. What do you do if you run out of cash at the pub? Nearest ATM has to be in New Zealand. What currency do you trade in with somany foreign nationals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last sunset is April 24th. It doesn't get totally dark until some time in May. Everyone here takes a multivitamin with lots of D. I have some Kiwi dollars still so used that. There is an ATM in town. Very convenient and no fees. The store takes credit cards and so does the bar so one really doesn't need cash. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Mikey! I like the green beer and know how you like to get out of a party when it is late! I know you are having fun when the ATM is getting used....and you do energetic things like hiking and visiting the historical sites. Pictures are very cool and the data is interesting to track. My students are in awe, and always ask if you are okay. Yep, just a little crazy surfer dude.
    Love you, Andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just doing all I can before it gets dark. I enjoy participating in the many varieties of recreation. I don't want to be a loner who sits in my room and drinks. There are a lot of those around.

      Delete