Friday, March 16, 2012

A birthday on ice.

I often browse through the store after dinner as the two girls that work there said that they will be introducing new items off and on throughout the winter. To my surprise there were two different brands of beer on the shelf. So I bought a 6-pack of each for $6.50 a pack. I also purchased a new knit cap. 

Since it was my birthday I decided to check out the local bar, Gallagher's, for the first time. This of course after my party with 59 penguins! Gallagher's is a typical dark windowless bar. I wasn't really impressed except for some of the artwork inside. The bartender is from Key West so we had a lot to talk about. It was a fun way to end my day. The walk back to my dorm was painful with a biting cold wind. As I was walking two girls were running to a different dorm.  One of the girls I recognized from the gym grabbed onto my leeward side and asked me to get her to the door. So I complied but then had to walk into the wind to get to mine. It was COLD but another fine day.

A penguin hanging out under one of the buildings here yesterday. This is not my picture.
Styling with a new cap.

A New Zealand beer.


I sometimes take pictures from my dorm's porch in my shorts and t-shirt. That's why the power line. I don't want to get bundled up to get away from the lines.



A cool new fire truck for the runway. The back holds 3,000 pounds of foam shot from the nozzle on the front bumper.

My birthday picture at Gallagher's.

One of my favorite beers.

Bar name. I wonder if my beard will get that long.

A wood relief map.

This goes back to the old navy days. Appropriate name: Operation Deep Freeze


I found three cards in my duffel bag yesterday. Valentine's, birthday and Father's Day. Only opened two. Thanks Andee!  

What a cool day!

Weather

Currently On Station
-19°C|-2.2°F
Temperature
-32.6°C|-26.7°F
Wind Chill
Skies: Cloudy
Visibility (miles): 6 in -SN and Blowing Snow
Winds (knots): ENE @ 21
Station Pressure: 29.065 in.
Updated: Mar 17, 2012 07:07 AM

4 comments:

  1. Mikey how can I trade you Fat Tire for a medium
    t-shirt or beeanie from antartica. You are "DA MAN"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikey, Happy Birthday and many more!
    I am glad that I remembered where I stashed those cards, and nice to know you found them....just a little reminder that we are at home missing you. The ship's store sounds like a fun place, and I hope they keep surprising you with some good things to eat and drink. I had a very stressful drive to Brunswick, Ga. to meet Jocelyn and then drove her south to Ponte Vedra, Florida. She and Cary headed south on A1A to St. Augustine today. It was very warm and outrageously busy...so I headed home without lunch. You would understand, I despise traffic and crowds! Guess you can't complain at the camp! Stay inside now and keep warm! Your pictures are awesome!
    Love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll be staying inside when it gets dark. As for right now I'm busy exploring. Yesterday I did a 3 hour sometimes scary hike then had brunch and a nap. Then went for another tour hike to Scott's Hut. After that dinner then to the Coffee House theater for a movie. Bed at 10. what a great day. After Cary rode with me that one day I'm surprised he is with Jocelyn. He didn't seem the biking type. But then I've been wrong once or twice before. Love you too. Mike

      p.s. I don't miss my truck or traffic at all!

      Delete