Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Part 2 of my Sunday.

After my hike I stopped by the Chalet to see this sculpture of Admiral Bird. All these early Antarctic explorers really impress me with ability to survive in such harsh conditions especially with the equipment that existed then. 


The Chalet deck with a sculpture of Admiral Bird.

The first to fly over the South Pole.


Nice deck and view.

I then checked in at the fire house. When you leave town for a hike you must fill out an eFoot Plan to let the dispatcher know where you are headed and when you will check in. If you don't check in within 5 minutes of the expected time the Search and Rescue (SAR) group is put into action. And they take it very serious here. Some of the hikes are solo while some require two people. They all require a radio and an eFoot Plan.

Brunch was being served next.

Sunday brunch - Banana pancakes, bacon with cheese and fruit.

This was delicious.


Real hot cocoa.
 
There are 14 dorms on station. All but three are shut down for the winter with everyone getting their own room. Unfortunately my dorm building was having boiler problems so the decision was made to shut it down. A room is a room but I lost my beautiful view of McMurdo Sound. Which in the grand scheme of things really doesn't matter as it will be dark for the winter so won't be able to see much anyway starting next month until the sun rises again mid August. Oh well.

My new room.


It's easy to figure out what to wear. There's six months right here!  T-shirts on the top shelf.
Nice big screen entertainment center with built in VHS player!


Door to the bathroom on the right.

Fridge and sink.

It is a room for two but winter-overs get their own room.

Inside the bathroom.

It is shared.

A fine Sunday meal - prime rib, baked beans, string bean casserole, lemon turkey soup, spinach and carrots salad and a glass of milk. Saturday evenings wine is allowed in the galley. 


On Sunday evenings the recreation department shows Antarctic documentaries at the Coffee House. So after dinner I took a walk to Hut Point (where Scott's Discovery Hut is from a previous post) and was back for the start of The Last Continent. Narrated by Donald Sutherland this documentary chronicles a group of Canadian scientists who sailed to Antarctica on a 4 masted schooner spending a total of 440 days onboard while wintering-over for global warming research. 

The Coffee House bar and theater. The NASA station is to the left.



Inside the theater. The entire ceiling and walls are covered in old wood planks.

The game area with quite a selection of board games, cards, and puzzles.

Snow shoes add to the atmosphere...

along with this old sled.

The bar. Coffee and wine.


Very comfy in the theater!

Some cool Antarctic art with wine corks.


One more view of the theater.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Mike! You are making this work journey sound like a wonderful spacey adventure...except the dorm room is not the best! I am really happy to see more pictures of you and the video of the seals was cute. I think you have a very good deal with the food prepared and dishes done for you! I work all day and try to prepare a meal for Cary and I and they don't look like yours! I need a chef! Enjoy the moments that define the continent...full of stark beauty. Thanks for sharing this time with me and many friends!
    Love, Andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I am finally catching up to you. The picture of the dark sky was a bit of a shock and I am sure that it is a pretty gradual change. The palace you live in appears quite functional and seems to have all you need although a bigger TV would be nice but do you really need it? I am sure that is a question that is asked all the time. The hikes you take sound easy but I bet they aren't. Last weekend, in your honor, I wore the Space Station T-shirt that you brought me from KSC and I bet you are surprised I still have it. Your adventure sure is amazing. Keep writing...and I still think you should contact some adventure club and publish you reports. In your next life you should be a reporter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words RoadRider. I enjoy the writing. It is getting darker at night now. When I first arrived it was always sunny. I like my room. It's kind of like my Sea Launch cabin. The TV size is fine as I don't spend much time with it except for the news or a DVD. I have lots of old TV shows on DVD.

      Delete