Friday, March 23, 2012

More sunsets, questions and ice

A Saturday afternoon 1pm update (Friday 8pm in Florida)
It's frightful outside!

Weather

Currently On Station
-28°C|-18.4°F
Temperature
-45.5°C|-49.9°F
Wind Chill
Skies: Overcast
Visibility (miles): 1/4 in snow and blowing snow
Winds (knots): ENE @ 14 gust 38



I have received more questions through email.

What money does Scott Base take?
The Kiwi's take American and New Zealand dollars also credit cards. I used some of my Kiwi dollars when I was there for St. Patrick's Day. At today's rate $1 = 1.22 NZ. There is also a no-fee ATM here at McMurdo.

There were a few question about my Observation Hill hike.
Can the weather change quickly?
Yes, and it does. Before a hike you are required to check out at the firehouse. They look at the weather and will give you a go or no go. You are also given a radio.

Was I alone?

Yes, Some of  the hiking trails require 2 people. This actually should have been a 2 person hike. 
Why was the nuclear power plant removed?
A shield water seepage into insulation around the reactor pressure vessel and primary coolant piping made stress corrosion cracking of the surfaces of the pressure vessel a possibility. Due to the high cost of performing these inspections it was decided to terminate nuclear operations after 10 years.

When I come in from the gym I rinse out my hat and hang it on the window to drip dry. I guess the window frame is cold. By the way, the dorm on the other side is closed for the winter.



Another surprise from the store!

I never tire of the sunsets. They occur around 8pm now with sunrise around 8am.

Steam coming off the water.



The bay is almost iced over now. This bay is also called  "McMurdo's Winter Quarters Bay" by the early expeditions of Scott and Shackleton as the ships were iced in here.

It is also the world's southernmost seaport.

A survival hut. There are several placed around the area. They are called Apples and Tomatoes.

Looking west at Cape Crozier.

A few weeks ago the sound was all open. Now lots of ice.

Don't step too close! You would be unlucky to survive this fall. Although I don't think you would last too long in the cold water.

Winter setting in.


The next day. Another beauty.


It's my Saturday the 24th - Friday in the states. I hope to go on another hike with a few others tomorrow but the weather is not looking too good. It was beautiful yesterday and was above 0 degrees for once. Overnight the snow came in heavy and it is still snowing and down to -24.1degrees. Oh well.


Last night I went to the Coffee House theater and met with a group of people to watch the tv show The Big Bang Theory. I was first introduced to the show at my sister's house in San Diego after the bike trip. One of the girls here have all seasons on a hard drive so I will be joining the group. It is a fun show especially with a large group. We all bring wine.


Sunset from last night with Vince's Cross. Scott's Discovery Hut is below the cross and to the right.



This morning from my work door. Yesterday it was above 0 and today -24.


No comments:

Post a Comment