Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Sunday hike around Observation Hill.

I have been wanting to climb Observation Hill ever since I got here. The weather finally cooperated but the conditions didn't. I ended up walking around the hill which itself took 3 hours from the firehouse checkout and back. There was a lot of snow covering the hillsides which covered up the path. I actually was more than a little concerned at times (okay I did get scared) when the narrow one foot or less path disappeared. One slip would throw you into a slide with nothing to stop you. The rocky area is all loose volcanic rock that leads to ice then to the ice shelf on the bottom. I don't know how thick the ice is there but I doubt if one would survive the fall as it is fairly steep. I never did see a path to the top and didn't want to risk it. So I circumvented the hill. That was a challenge in itself.

Observation Hill. 700 feet.

The Royal Society mountain range.

There was a nuclear power plant here.

An interesting phenomenon. First came the snow then someone came along, compressing the snow beneath their feet and hardening it. Then the wind came and picked up the loose snow- but the wind came from only one direction, so the loose snow behind the hardened snow was protected.

So cool!

A nice path here.

Covered here.

I'm glad there are markers.

This was a tricky to cross.

If you fall here there is nothing to stop you.

Loose volcanic rock down to the ice then ice shelf.

This was hard. Baby steps. It was best not to look down.


I don't think I will hike this again until the snow is gone. At the bottom is part ice shelf (which makes for a good slide) then water.

Looking straight down.



The beginning of the ice shelf.


The path is a little too narrow.


On the other side is Scott Base.

Getting easier now.


These sunglasses are a must have.

On the way down.

More of the raised footprints. Someone was here a few weeks ago.


Deep in some parts.


On the Big Island of Hawaii people stack volcanic rocks as a memorial to loved ones. So I made one in Antarctica with 3 rocks stacked on top of a base for my mom, dad, and little sister, Susan.

Fog over McMurdo Sound.

6 comments:

  1. Dang, the trail is narrow, you are right!!...but the slope doesn't look bad as I have hiked steep slopes in New Mexico BUT also there is no optical reference with anything vertical growing like a tree. Is the closest tree in New Zealand? So it must be an optical illusion...which sounds like got to you just a little bit. ;) It is certainly is desolate but magnificent at the same time and I bet being out there ALONE must have been an almost spiritual experience. At the bottom of the planet by yourself!!! You are sure having one heck of an experience...and a time of your life. I am sure missing the family doesn't make it any easier but satisfying the need for adventure has its rewards....kind of like walking from the Nievsky Palace to the Neptune....just to cruise the city. Everyday I look up your blog and I find new postings...I just fly away and dream "what would it be like"?
    Your photos are fantastic and you better not loose them as they are priceless memories to discuss with the grankids. But then if you haven't been there...would they mean the same? I must have "the need of adventure" in the blood because I'd jump to the opportunity in a minute. The air and the blue of the sky are something that perhaps cannot even be described. It sure looks awesome!!! Keep it up Mikey!!! You are doing a wonderful job and I still think you should publish your blog with National Geographic when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the middle of the night walks from the Neptune to the Nievsky Palace. Those were special times.

      Once you get out of town by yourself you do feel you are the last person on earth as you look out over the grand vistas. There is nothing around except nature. It is so quiet except for some occasional ice movement or a seal barking.

      Thanks for all the kind words and continued comments RoadRider.

      Delete
  2. I agree! You make every trip sound so inviting...and you rarely complain about the bone-chilling cold. I don't have the need to follow the narrow paths, and I do hope you are very cautious. I really liked the pictures of the hut and think you are a history buff! Thank you for sharing this blog and your views. I hope you do write a book! Love you, Andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the hiking here is in baby steps. You can really get hurt here if you are not paying attention. And if you are alone...good luck.

      There is no sense in complaining about the cold. It is a cold continent and I came here because I wanted to. Take care Andee. Good travels to you.

      Delete
  3. Makani doesn't have any of the journal types but she would like to say, I loved the stacked rocks. ♥ Means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for relaying Makani's message. It was a special moment for me. Gramma Lois and Aunti Susan would have loved this place. Grandpa couldn't stand the cold.

      Delete