Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Quiet Sunday.

Due to the weather, Sunday turned out to be pretty quiet. Several of us had planned a hike but it was way too windy. I don't mind the cold or snow for hiking but the wind can make it dangerous if there is any climbing involved. Saturday night was another movie night at the Coffee House Theater with the classic movie "Planes, Train, and Automobiles."

It was really blowing on Saturday with the windchill at -49 degrees.

Fun movie on Saturday night.



 Sunday morning I went to the gym and for a weight workout then it was time for brunch. After that it was laundry and room cleaning. Real exciting stuff here. I also cut my hair and trimmed my beard. Most guys here either let their beard and hair all grow out with no shaving or you shave your head and trim your beard. My hair had been getting really scraggly looking as it grew around my bald spot. I got tired of it and my long beard. I brought my hair trimmer so cut it all off and trimmed my beard. Yesterday at dinner the station manager joined me at my table. Another person joined us and asked him when the next igloo building trip was because she had missed it. The station manager who was that trip leader said he didn't know because look what happened to Mike - he went and built an igloo and all his hair fell out!

I was asked why there are no more planes flying in. It is too cold now for a plane to land, sit on the ground and take off safely. Plus the wind is more erratic now. The conditions can and do change rapidly.

There are a few interesting things I have noticed. No one is sick anymore since there are no new germs being introduced. There are no coughs or sniffles. I also enjoy not seeing cellphones. It is actually pretty strange not seeing people talking or texting on their cellphone. It is really very pleasant. Plus the typical plastic water bottle is banned here. Everyone has reusable plastic bottles. That's nice too. There are plentiful filling stations and the water quality is excellent.

Three new items at the store. A Kiwi beer.

A treat here.

Excellent chips. I felt like I was in Walmart!

I would be ashamed if the old Antarctic explorers saw me now.

No quarters required plus free soap.

The lounge on my floor.


Nice view from the lounge. You can see Scott's Discovery hut in the upper right window pane.

My desk.

I am writing a book about my cross country bike trip with my daughter Jocelyn from 2011. I downloaded this cool word processor called Darkroom. As you write there are no distractions for spelling check or punctuation. You just type away then transfer to Word. I really like the green on black. All my pictures are foldered into each day for easy story reference.

I also have printed the daily journal updates to crazyguyonabike.com for reference.
 

4 comments:

  1. Mom and I have just read most of your entries. You are a terrific story teller and we like the pictures. Today was gorgeous in Huntington Beach, but a little too cool at night still. Cary and I are doing some errands and trying new foods, Peruvian last night. Thanks for keeping this post so informative, we feel like you are telling us to stay focused.....Okay, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andee. I enjoy the writing and picture taking although at times I feel pretty dumb taking my glove off for a shot. The hand gets cold quick.

      Delete
  2. I just read your book and it is fantastic. I know this can be published, and encourage you to just write and dont worry about editing. I am reading on my iPad2 and it appears to be a good length. Keep writing, and send us more!
    Leaving Calif. today, lots of food and a few visits with friends. Mom is fine, just very slow. Talk to you this weekend. Enjoy the ride! Love always, Andes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am up to page 43 and reliving each adventurous day.

      Delete