Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The people you meet.

I have met a lot of "adventurous" people here. There is a couple that spend the winter here for eight months then return to a horse farm in Montana. In fact there are a surprising number of married couples here. A girl I met when I first got here spends the summer here and returns to Alaska to train sled dogs. There is a guy I met that also spends the summers here then returns to his sailboat in Seattle for the other four months. In the galley you hear conversations all the time on where they are going next. There are many people that backpack in different countries. I remember hearing a guy say he spends the summers here then rents a house on the beach in Peru and surfs for four months. 

I recently met a girl here that goes to the gym the same time I do. She is the first female to travel across the U.S. on a unicycle. Amazing. So we have a lot in common with my cross country bicycle trip with my daughter. It's all about the adventure and travel! I came across her blogspot: http://onewheelforlife.blogspot.com/

When my daughter Jocelyn and I rode cross country I wrote a blog entitled "A father/daughter adventure":

crazyguyonabike.com/mikey8590

Jocelyn is now on another bike adventure but this time without her father. She is riding from Cullowhee, North Carolina home to Cape Canaveral, Florida. I wish her a safe and fun adventure. And she is doing this without me. It's kind of sad for me but I'm happy for her. Visit her at Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Believe-the-RIDE-Jocelyn-Rice/119895634765275

One more picture to add. I bought a bag of cheese puffs. I guess when stuff expires they send it to the "ice guys". They'll eat anything. Actually they weren't bad at all - just a little greasier.

Only four years past the "Best Date".


6 comments:

  1. Hey, what can I do down there? I can handle the darkness, but the cold temps would really hurt! You did a kind thing to share your encouragement for Jocelyn's journey on this blog. We will be celebrating your birthday together in Ga. and Cary will start his riding experiences with Jocelyn. He has a Trek 7.3 and started training with Chris...surprise! He can't wait for the big Daddy trip this fall...Okay, love you, Andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on down on show them how to make rice pudding and carrot cake!

      Delete
    2. Okay, and 7 layer cookies...your mama would be the one for the Rice pudding! I am sure you wouldn't want me there....what could I possibly whine about? We can't really dispute that the weather would not suit my sunny disposition. I wouldn't mind entertaining a few students to share techie tricks and novels..I am reading The Hunger Games before the movie comes out this week. What are you reading?
      Love always,
      Andee

      Delete
    3. Yes, you are right on the rice pudding. I can see you making 7 layer cookies for 150 people. The Kiwi's would probably like them too so add another 14 people.

      Currently on my Kindle I am reading Alone by Richard Byrd about his 2nd trip to Antarctica in 1934.

      Delete
  2. Mike,
    I was cleared by my doctor to start riding again after he spliced my left clavicle back together after I shattered it in a skiing accident around Xmas time. I will re-start with short rides and return to my 45mi Sunday ride to Laguna Beach. I'll let you know how it feels. I tried my beach cruiser a few days ago but it just doesn't ride the same. It sounds like your whole family is getting into biking. That is TOTALLY awesome. Maybe someday our paths will cross and we'll do a few cranks together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short rides is the key. After I broke my rib on my bike trip it was a long and painful recovery. The first night when we restated was camping. There were no other choices. That was an extremely uncomfortable night. Good luck Andy.

      Delete