Friday, April 20, 2012

A super fun Thursday afternoon grooming a trail with a Pisten Bully

I scored a boondoggle today. This Pisten Bully is used for the weekly grooming of the Castle Rock Loop Trail. For safety reasons two people must go. I got a phone call and was gone! It snowed pretty hard last night and this morning. 

My ride for the afternoon - a Pisten Bully with a snow plow! How cool is that!

This looks fun too!

It has been snowing all morning.


Wearing my goggles today.


Grooming the trail.

The visibility wasn't very good today.


We added a dozen flags to the trail. A tough job but somebody has to do it. The flag to the left is on a full size pole. It's been there awhile.


A "granny smith" survival hut.

The black flags mark known crevasses.

Castle Rock

We rode up to the base...
hiked carefully around the rocks and ice then...

viewed the sunset over McMurdo Sound at 3pm. So often I think of myself on another planet.

This was one of those days.

The weather was very snowy and misty giving a magical glow to the sun.

Standing at the edge of the world!



I removed the mitten from my right hand to operate the camera. There are two warming packets inside the glove liner though.

This perspective shows the size of Castle Rock. The Pisten Bully is on the left. A favorite summer pastime is climbing Castle Rock.


I never tire of the beautiful Antarctic sunset.


Interesting rock and ice formations.


Pax (passenger) door.

Inside an apple survival hut. Snowing through the open door. This would be a cool place to camp. It is a lot warmer inside.

An amusing survival hut log entry.

This survival hut has a phone line. With the flash...

and without.

Road clearing close to town.

I posted four videos on YouTube.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYkj81oHd8A
Grooming the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7RsiwU6tE&feature=youtu.be
 Setting a flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilgVOpJSqvo
 Climbing in the Pisten Bully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDNLtXeQRo&feature=youtu.be 
Turning around in a Pisten Bully

2 comments:

  1. "So often I think of myself on another planet."

    So true! It seems like you finally got to go to the moon or something :)

    The picture of you laying flags is crazy. Couldn't imagine not seeing more than a few feet. How long do you think it takes for the flags to get completely covered usually?

    That rock is freaking epic. Loved the pictures along the way, especially the ones showing the piston bully climbing the trail, and the rock formations.

    Keep explorin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...I do feel that way. I asked about the flags and was told some are less than a year old. They are all red to start with then turn yellow, except for the black warning flags.

    ReplyDelete