Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Space Shuttle Discovery leaves home and daylight is disappearing


Working on console in the Firing Room of the Launch Control Center.

Atlantis at the pad shortly before STS-135 Launch - the last space shuttle flight.
My final visit onboard Discovery.

Where's Mike? A tribute to the Space Shuttle and workers.


The space shuttle Discovery left Kennedy Space Center and flew to Washington, D.C. yesterday. It was a sad moment for me as I spent almost 30 years on the program. There was plenty of flight time left on all three shuttles but they are now museum pieces to be enjoyed by many other people. As she flew along the beach my neighbor and my daughter Jocelyn sent me three beautiful pictures they took and Jocelyn had this to say:


"Thank you daddy for all your hardworking persistence with such an inspiring program." 


My wife also wrote and said several neighbors and friends thought of me as she flew by. Thanks.


From my neighbor. Thanks Dave.
From my daughter Jocelyn.

Thanks Jocelyn!



Sunrise is now around 11am and sets at 3pm. At this point the sun's altitude is only around 1 degree. It is a strange time for me as I am a sun person and it is slowly disappearing. I am not looking forward to the darkness but will look at it as a challenge. People seem more in a rush now to get where they are going. It almost seems like hibernation is around the corner.

 A few rambling topics:

Static Electricity: is really bad here because of the 0% humidity. It is very common to see and hear a spark almost an inch long! It's funny to see other people's reaction until it happens to you. And it really does hurt especially if you have split fingertips like mine as it always seems to hit right at the cut split.

Split fingertips: Mine first started cracking when I arrived and continue to do so even though I use gobs of lotion. The standard solution for this is crazy glue. I apply it to my "split ends" every morning. 

Canned fruit: I can't stand it because it comes in light or heavy syrup. There are still some apples left however and I probably take more than most. They are getting mushy though.

Salads: There is a greenhouse that is growing lettuce and herbs. So far we have had three fresh salads in the last month! I really savor those days. Last Saturday night we were eating dinner and talking when two of the guys got really quiet. I looked over and they were staring at a fly crawling on the table. I stared too until it flew away. So there is other life here.

Frozen Vegetables: They are actually okay. At dinnertime I am happy with a plate of brown rice covered in vegetables.

Bread: McMurdo has an excellent baker who bakes all kinds of delicious breads. I will often take a chunk back to my room and have it with a glass of wine.


Deserts: Too many pies, cakes, cookies, and puddings. I find myself walking by that high calorie table.


Fruit Smoothies: They are available once a week. I miss making them at home.

Meat: This is definitely a steak lovers place as that is served often. But I am distancing myself from all meat. I have never been a big meat consumer and can see myself quitting.

Breakfast: This is my  favorite meal. The chef makes great scrambled eggs that I like to sprinkle cheese on. He is also good at pancakes. I will have oatmeal sprinkled with granola 3-4 times a week. 

Redeployment: I have heard lots of people talk about life after they get off the ice. Most seem to agree that it takes a month to get used to family and civilization again. That seems like a long time to me but then this is my first time here.  The city of Christchurch is full of gardens and a lot of people talk about spending time at those before flying to the states.

Cold Weather: It really isn't that bad. Coming from Florida anything around 32 degF seems really cold. I seem to have acclimatized myself as I walk to the gym at lunch with my shorts on whether it is 0 or -30. It's all relative. I always wear my parka though. Obviously if I am outside for a while I am totally bundled up and using toe and hand warmer packets. This morning it was 6 degF and I walked to work in a long sleeved t-shirt. But right now there is a blizzard coming through. I have three bags of extreme weather gear. One at work, one in my room, and the other in the work van. I keep a parka in each place.

Several people have written and asked about TV. Here is the listing:

Television Station Descriptions and Schedules

Channel 2
24-hour American Forces Network (AFN) Americas: entertainment.
Channel 3
24-hour Weather Information: McMurdo and surrounding areas.

Channel 5
BBC World—the London-based British Broadcasting Corporation’s international 24-hour news and information channel broadcasting world news, in-depth analysis, and interviews.

Channel 6
24-hour McMurdo Information Page (MIP I): community schedules and events information, including critical information, movie schedules, and daily dining menus.

Channel 7
24-hour Antarctic Terminal Operations (ATO): flight information, including dates, mission numbers, departure locations, and estimated times of arrival (ETAs).

Channel 8
Australia Network: Australia’s international satellite channel that compiles programming from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Australian commercial television networks, and independent production houses from around the world. Programs include regional news, international documentaries, lifestyle interest, dramas, and sports.

Channels 9 and 10
Movies: all genres.

These movies are not available for check-out—for a list of movies you can check out, see the McMurdo Media Library page.

Channel 11
24-hour American Forces Network (AFN) Americas: sports.

Channel 12
24-hour McMurdo Information Page (MIP II): community schedules and events information, including generic station information, reoccurring recreational events (such as yoga classes), and hours of operation for the barber shop and taverns.

Channel 13
24-hour American Forces Network (AFN) Americas: news

I like to watch the news just to see what is going on in the world. Other that I brought along a collection of some favorite DVDs mostly comedy, surfing, and action. I also read from my Kindle and am usually in bed by 8:30 most nights. Sometimes just walking from building to building takes a lot of effort. It does take a toll on your body so more rest is a requirement.


This picture and the next two are sunset from a few weeks ago that didn't get posted.



This is what the sky looks like at 6pm now. Kind of spooky.


A few noon time pictures.


Sunset April 18th.




Sunset on the top of Observation Hill.

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with the pictures you have taken despite the extremely cold temps. Your captions are almost poetic, and I think you have a very positive outlook. Many people ask about you and I share your blog. They really want to know if you will be going back. I can only say that you don't know yet. We hope you are careful in the cool days ahead. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andee. I have hand warmer packets in my gloves. That really helps. It's take a picture then warm the hand.

    Once you leave here nobody knows if they will return. Everyone I have talked to say they are sad when their plane departs because of that. It is such a huge privilege and process to get here.

    ReplyDelete