Sunday, April 1, 2012

McMurdo's first winter party.

Except for a party Saturday night it was a pretty quiet weekend because once again the weather did not cooperate. Friday night found me at the Coffee House Theater with the usual gang for a few episodes of the Big Bang Theory. On Saturday the weather was snowing and blowing which was okay because we all work Saturdays anyway. The Berg Field Center (BFC) is responsible for distributing all gear to scientists and those traveling out of town. They put on the first party of the winter. It was correlated with the Antarctic Support Contract change from Raytheon to Lockheed-Martin which occurred April 1.

There are many talented musicians here and they all put on a good show. The weather did cooperate for a walk to the BFC at 8pm. Once there I enjoyed talking with many new friends and having a few beers. The music was good although a little loud in the small upstairs loft. Antarctica's only all girl rock band put on quite a show. I recorded a little of one song and it is posted following a few pictures. 

I had two outings planned for Sunday but it was another inside day because of the weather so another Sunday of laundry and room cleaning. I did spend several hours writing in my book though. So all was not lost. Sunday night I was back at the Coffee House for another movie. After that I saw a few friends sitting and tending the coffee bar and was offered an amaretto hot chocolate by the barista. She made an excellent cup for a night cap. Then it was off to my room at 10pm to sleep.

By the way, last week there were two days at +12 degrees. I was out in shirt sleeves and tennis shoes. I walked to the gym in my shorts. It was a regular heat wave! 

Upstairs in the Berg Field Center a small but good party location.


The world's only Antarctic shooter. A small area is dug out of the ice then a plastic tube laid down. Water is poured over the tube and it freezes into this block. A hole is chipped out around the top of the tube. The drink of choice is then poured down the tube to a glass. This gives you a cold shot.

A top view. The output is the tube under the clamp.

One of the bands.

Antarctica's only all girl band.

A friend of mine fashioned this dress out of an old tent.




2 comments:

  1. This looked like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun but the bands were way too loud for the small area. I soon noticed that a lot of people were wearing ear plugs. I didn't get the message.

      Delete