Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Sunday Part 2 and it is getting cooler

After the Pegasus trip I went to my room to thaw my hands. I am going to investigate a different kind of glove. I wear glove liners and have changed to mittens which are supposedly warmer. My body and feet stay warm. I then spent a few hours writing my book before heading back outside to hut point for almost two hours. I probably stayed too long because as I was walking back a firefighter appeared and asked me if I wanted a ride back. He had noticed someone out "way too long" in his words and thought I needed help. Hut Point is highly visible from town. I took a few pictures and a video so my hands and body were good. It is just a nice place to sit and enjoy this beautiful continent. There were two seals laying around so I was watching them. My family and friends from my neighborhood know that I am on the beach daily and often sit on the dune crossover and have a few beers. Hut Point is my dune crossover in Antarctica. Not a whole lot of people hang out here especially if there is any wind. Once you see my 360 degree YouTube video you will see why I visit and hang out here.

After that it was an Easter dinner of ham, potatoes, clam chowder, and frozen vegetables. For desert, cheesecake. I stayed in the galley until almost 7 chatting with friends then went to the Coffee House Theater for a movie. Every Sunday the McMurdo Science Theater 3000 shows movies "so bad they are good". The audience (even me) spoof the movie out loud. It is a blast. I bring along a flask containing two glasses of red wine. I can't imagine a more entertaining movie experience. Once that is over I hang out at the coffee bar with friends and have a hot chocolate with amaretto. It is a perfect Sunday evening while in McMurdo.

A smoking area that doesn't get much use these days.

Seals are fascinating. How do they just lay there on ice?

It must be the warmth from the sun!

The entire McMurdo Sound is iced in now. By August it will be thick enough (10 feet) to land a C-17 on the sea-ice. The sea-ice runway will be used until December when it starts to break up. The runway is then back on the Ross Ice Shelf about 45 minutes away.




The full moon has been up for several days now. It travels 360 degrees like the sun.

Easter sunset.



Cool rock and ice formations.

A link to a 360 degree video from Hut Point. This is my favorite spot to hang out and "chill".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Hc5OJixfw&feature=youtu.be


The weather is very cool!

Weather

Currently On Station
-31°C|-23.8°F
Temperature
-48.6°C|-55.5°F
Wind Chill
Skies: Partly Cloudy
Visibility (miles): Unrestricted
Winds (knots): NE @ 21
Station Pressure: 28.980 in.
Updated: Apr 11, 2012 12:12 PM

2 comments:

  1. Full moon for several days? Hope there aren't werewolves about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be showings of creepy movies soon like Aliens and The Thing. It is not dark enough yet.

    ReplyDelete