Sunday, April 22, 2012

Monday morning weather - Condition 2

The weather has been jumping around the last few days. There were six of us that planned a trip to the Igloos for repairs and to test out camping but that was scrubbed yesterday (Sunday) due to deteriorating weather conditions. This morning when I walked to work at 6am it was nice and the stars were bright. One hour later McMurdo went into condition 2. Condition 2 winds are up to 55 knots or wind chill below -100degF or visibility less than 100 feet. Not quite hurricane strength wind but with the visibility and temperature way down it is uncomfortable to be outside.


The webcam overlooking town from our antenna site.

Webcam near Observation Hill



 Condition 2 video outside work.

Video from inside.

Tomorrow is the last above the horizon sunrise and sunset. There are several of us planning a midday trip to watch this. Sunrise will be at 12:27pm and set at 1:14pm. I hope the weather cooperates.


The current wind chill is -44 degF. Far warmer than the current South Pole at -110 degF though.

2 comments:

  1. Sunday Cary and I caught some epic surf! We missed you out there. It was just us and I felt like we happened to be in Costa Rico or somewhere. Just linear lines of goodness, pealing perfectly and the biggest wave I caught was just over 5 ft! I dropped in with a wide stance and quickly moved up the board to keep a good speed as the wave barreled beside me, it was too strong for me to stick my head in but it was rocking. Cary is getting real good at 360s too! I am still stoked about those waves, you need to get a FB maybe just to follow me because I have epic pictures on there too. Dedicated some waves to you yesterday. Gosh it was so good. Get on a snowmobile, those things are funnnn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. I'm glad you scored some. Sounds good and fun. I really miss it. Thanks for the waves but you took the best ones!

    I haven't seen any snowmobiles used yet. They are not for recreation. When the scientists arrive in October they will be used to travel to remote research camps.

    ReplyDelete