Thursday, May 17, 2012

What I miss

I have been here three months now and was asked what I miss. So I came up with a list.


I miss:

- my wife, Andee, her loving ways, cheerful smile, and upbeat attitude.
- my son Cary to skateboard up the street to La Cantina for a lunch of tacos and cervezas and to watch dumb movies with.
- my daughter Jocelyn and her laugh. Jocelyn meeting me on the beach for a run. Seeing Jocelyn ahead of me on her bike.
- the ocean for a sunrise paddle to the pier or an early morning surf session.
- sitting in the lineup and seeing Cary and Jocelyn to my sides, getting waves while hooting for each other.
-running on the beach
-seeing grass, plants, flowers, trees and their smells.
-mowing the lawn.
-bugs, lizards, snakes and other critters
-our three dogs, petting them, walking them, Tobi jumping on my lap, Snugz snarling at me, and Yaki yawning with the sound of the Wookie from Star Wars. 
-seeing children playing.
-seeing my neighbor Chris working outside then walking over there to snag a beer and see his latest project.
-Chris stopping by and seeing all three dogs jump around.
-walking a dog to the crossover before the sunrise to check out the surf.
-getting excited with an incoming swell and running back to the house for my board.
-sitting in the lineup with all my surfing neighbors: Roger, Bill, Craig, Tom, Keith, Jason, Rob, Gary, John, Dave, Dan, Alan and sharing waves.
-talking story in the lineup, missing a wave and not caring as there are more coming.
-watching neighbor Dave kite-surf  and talking with his wife Michaelyn (Mike) on the beach.
-talking with the neighbors while on the dune crossover.

-drinking beer on the crossover.
-sitting on my surfboard and seeing Andee with a camera trying to take a picture of me.
-riding my bike to my favorite Port Canaveral Restaurants Rusty's, Fish Lips, and Grills and sitting at the bar for wings and beer.
-sitting outside at Mainly Lobster in Cocoa Beach for grilled fish.
-Dos Equis Amber day at Cantina dos Amigos in Satellite Beach. 
-the sun, heat, and humidity.
-after several hours in the water seeing Andee on the beach with a sandwich and something cool to drink.
-fresh fruit and vegetables.
-making fresh fruit smoothies.
-cruising up or down the coast on my fishing boat.
-sitting on my boat a few miles off the coast with two fishing lines in the water and enjoying a sandwich and beer, not caring if I catch anything.
-dinners with Bruce, Judy, and Chris.
-warm sand between my toes.
-seeing a rocket launch.
-riding a bike.
-hearing ships' toots and whistles from Port Canaveral.
-after spending the day biking coming home and Andee making me a fruit smoothie and snack while I clean up.
-my tan as I am so pale now.
-bikinis on the beach.
-listening to the surf break on the beach as I go to bed.
-thinking straight as my mind often goes blank now. I heard that this affects most winter-overs.
-seeing a jet's contrail in the sky.
-going out the door with just shorts, flip-flops, and t-shirt. 
-my huge shower at home.
-Andee's baking. Coming in the house and smelling fresh brownies with nuts, banana nut bread or 7-layer cookies.
-the barbeque and cooking. 
-watching the sun and moon rise over the ocean.
-my fireplace.
-watching dolphins jump around me as I am sitting on my surfboard.


I'm sure this list isn't complete but it's not like I am in prison here. The beauty and mystic of Antarctica is supreme and I feel very privileged to be working here. It's simply a different phase of my life - an escape from reality and into the unknown.

Contemplating the enormity of it all. This is how a penguin stands. Scientists equate a penguin's intelligence to chickens.

Speaking of penguins...it's a penguin kind of day.
 Current Conditions at 14:02 on 5/18/12
Temperature: -26.6°C (-16°F) 
Wind Chill: -43.0°C (-45°F) 
Wind Speed: 22kts (25mph)






5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, and we thought you were ignoring us this week! I hope your frostbite is healing, and since I don't have a clue about your daily musings, I enjoy catching up with you on the blog. WE are at Vero Beach Reef Resort and the morning is warm and sunny after a cloudy rainy evening. Your folks would be so happy to relax by the pool today..I miss them! Your list is very important to the people who are asking about you when I see them. There are students at my school, and Tish's in San Diego, that are following your adventures. Thank you for sharing, and I will keep making the sweets! Fortunately, we have friends that will eat them for me! One more week of school, and then a month of clean up and rest. Hope to hear your voice soon! Love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My frost-nip has healed but my face is now much more sensitive. Enjoy your upcoming summer.

      Delete
  3. Miss you too! It must be hard not hear or see much life out there. The small subtleties of life (sound especially) are often overlooked until they are taken away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only life here now are people. The skuas (flew north for the winter), penguins (Cape Royds and Cape Crozier for nesting), and most seals (as the sound freezes they move out to sea) are now gone. Thanks for all the comments Cary! I'm glad that you can uses some of the pictures. Although I didn't quite figure out the wind driven snow pictures and monsters.

      Delete