Monday, May 14, 2012

A walk to Hut Point and a Sunday hike up Observation Hill

Last week I took a noontime walk to Hut Point.

Looking northwest over McMurdo Sound.

The moon over the Royal Society Range.

Vince's memorial cross.







On Mother's Day I hiked Observation Hill by myself in memory of my mom. After a brief rest at the top I hiked down and then to Scott Base in a severe headwind. My head was totally covered with a balaclava, neck gaiter, and cap (pulled down for these two pictures). When I returned to my room I discovered I was frost-nip on one side of my face. The wind and cold must have forced its way under my cover because the other side of my face was not affected.

The top of Observation Hill.

Robert Scott's Tera Nova expedition memorial.

I was the only one on Ob Hill for Mother's Day. Took shelter from the wind and sat for 15 minutes enjoying the view.



The moon over Observation Hill.

Frost-nip. The swelling is caused by excess tissue fluid during the thaw stage. My other side was clean. This equates to a bad sunburn as the skin will peel. Now this area is more susceptible to further damage.





 

Two videos from the top of Ob Hill. The wind masks my voice.

Happy Mother's Day to my wife Andrea.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment