Sunday, May 27, 2012

Castle Rock, Running, and a Memorial Day Tribute

Cartoon credit: http://www.joy-of-cartoon-pictures.com/index.html

How true: Today it is -47 degF (windchill)
(tomorrow's forecast is -58)



On Saturday after dinner several of us went to Castle Rock for a few hours of hiking and star gazing. I had a great time and sure am glad I brought my headlamp.
On the far side of Castle Rock overlooking McMurdo Sound.

I was toasty warm.

A nice viewing area but it was cloudy so only a few stars.

Our transportation was a Nodwell which is a two-tracked vehicle for adverse terrain. Riding in the back was like being on a motorboat at sea.

I am still amazed at the variety of vehicles here.

The Nodwell drives with 2 levers like a tank.

The rear seats 16 pax (passengers).

Icy cold on my face. I was sweating from the hike.

The pax had a good heater running inside.

For several months now I have been running on the treadmills in the Gerbil Gym. During mid-winter festivities next month there will be a run through town so after my gym workout Sunday morning I decided to try running. Even though I run about 25 miles per week on the treadmill it doesn't equate to real running outside. It ended up being a very challenging 30 minutes outside because of the wind, cold and terrain. It felt good though. I need to add another layer under the windbreaker and use my mittens instead of the gloves.
Running outfit for Antarctica.

Dressed a little different than for running on the beach!
The Stabilicers came in handy for running.

Since we are not here for Veterans Day, McMurdo combines Memorial and Veterans Days for one celebration. We were asked to submit names and pictures of our veteran family members alive or deceased. Poster size tributes are displayed in the galley area. This morning we met outside the Operations Building for a small ceremony including a brave soul playing taps on his bugle (at a -47 degF in 19 mph winds). We then gathered in the galley for a special cake.

My family is well represented. Thanks Mom and Dad! Several people mentioned that I look like my dad.
Attached to our dorm rooms today.

2 comments:

  1. We had the flag waving in a stiff breeze, till the stormy wet weather made me take it inside. I thought of your family and how proud you all are about your service years. thank you for sharing this on your blog! Your running is admirable, and I hope to pick up the pace real soon. Stay warm and keep writing! Love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The Rice family is well represented. On my "What I miss" post I forgot to write thunderstorms and rain.

    ReplyDelete