Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Sunday hike in the diminishing light

The weekend update:
On Saturday night several of us got together in the dorm lounge and watched a few of the surfing DVDs I had brought. That along with popcorn and beer made for a fun evening. 

Sunday morning I was in the gym early for a weight routine then brunch at 10am. At 11:30 a friend and I hiked the 3 mile Hut Point Ridge Trail. This was one of the last chances to climb as our light is quickly fading. The weather started out snowing but warm. We covered the distance in 2 1/2 hours, slow but sure footed. 

After that it was laundry, clean my room, write in my book, then dinner for delicious pan cooked mahi fillets. Sundays is McMurdo Science Theater 3000 (movies so bad they are good) for a viewing of "The Room". This is a popular cult film with probably the worst acting I have ever seen. The Kiwi's came dressed in character! What a hoot! It was almost non-stop laughter. After that is was hot chocolate at the coffee bar then bed at 10:30.


Starting tonight are the every Monday evening science lectures in the Crary Lab Library. Looking forward to that.


On Tuesdays in the big gym is open volleyball. I wanted to participate in a team sport (there is volleyball, basketball, and indoor soccer) and since I have never played volleyball I decided to do something different. I had a lot of fun last week with a very friendly group of us and the Kiwi's.

A memorial to a fallen Seabee.

I found a better picture.

Our Lady of the Snows shrine next to the memorial plaque. Our Lady of the Snows chapel is in town. I added three lava rocks for my mom, dad, and sister. This was my mom's favorite statue.

Also known as "Roll Cage Mary".

We still have some light from 11am-3pm. Overlooking Winter Quarters Bay.


It was a snowy hike but warm at +12 degF

Overlooking Hut Point. It is so warm that much of the sea-ice is gone.

A nice wide hiking trail.

McMurdo at 1pm.

Not a good place to slip and fall.



A prominent landmark seen from the Ross Sea. The early explorers had "arrived" to Winter Quarters Bay.

Two of the antennas that I work on.

A well hiked and skied trail system.




Back in town the weather has cleared.


The stabilicers worked well.


McMurdo Science Theater 3000 viewing. This movie is so bad it's hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment