Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Vehicles of McMurdo

On my day off yesterday, Sunday (Saturday in the states), in between a few blizzards the wind backed off enough to hike around town. I took lots of pictures of the various vehicles used on the ice. Some of them are very cool looking.

I wonder how this would do at the beach?


All vehicles here have engine heaters. I wonder why only one is plugged in.

Snowmobiles ready for the winter.

They look fun but noisy.

Looks like they have good traction.

This looks like a lot of fun.

I want to learn how to drive this!

This is a trailer.

This is heavy duty. Huge tracks.

Tied up like horses to a post.

Another view of the standard truck.

These tracks are super wide.

A Humvee on tracks.

Tonka toys!

Good words everywhere.

The road out of town.

New vans!

Now this is heavy duty. New too.


A portable power generator on skis.

The airport bus. A very bumpy and slow ride!

There are 6 of these tires on "Ivan".

Another shuttle bus called a Delta.

Delta #2

This is a snow plow I would like to have if I lived up north.

I notice truck drivers have their names on the trucks they drive.

Mary's truck.

Aneeda's truck.

And of course there is always a Frank.

This mode of transportation is not going to get used today.

Lonely bicycles.

3 comments:

  1. Poor bicycles! All of this machinery is great for inspiration. I've downloaded every picture on your blog so far :P It's also nice to see some subtle humor in a place that is so cold and isolated. More room for mischief and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow look at those bikes. Sad day. LOVE LOVE LOVE the "Don't STOP Believin" Sign! That's my high school class song. Believe in yourself and everything is possible.

    ReplyDelete