Monday, February 13, 2012

Another Adventure Begins

My adventures began last year after the Space Shuttle stopped flying and I retired. My daughter and I jumped on our bikes and rode cross country from Cape Canaveral, Florida to San Diego, California. This Father/Daughter adventure took 2538 miles over 40 riding days. It was not without hardships and struggles. crazyguyonabike.com/mikey8590.

San Diego, California after 2538 miles!

During this trip I was contacted about a possible position at a NASA Spaceflight Tracking Station in McMurdo, Antarctica. This sounded like a wonderful travel opportunity. The position would require me to spend the winter on the Antarctic ice. During this time there is no flying in or out for five months. Because of this there is a huge physical qualification process to weed out any candidates that may have a medical issue. After our bicycle trip was over I started this process which also included psychological testing. It was a trying few months but all of a sudden I was deemed physically qualified and reality set in. I would once again leave home with all its comfort. My daily life of running, cycling, surfing, and fishing would go away,

No comments:

Post a Comment