Sunday, February 19, 2012

Questions


 A neighbor friend posted several questions on my email. I will attempt to answer them here.
 
1.  What do they do for a sewer treatment system, take it via boat and hold it in heated tanks?  You certainly can't have a sewer treatment system that drains it into the soil.
 
Until about 2003, McMurdo's sewage was simply ground up and dumped into the sea. The new plant uses anaerobic bacteria to begin breaking down the sewage, then a long process (still being improved) of aerobic bacteria to further break down the sewage, before the almost clear liquid is strained and then sterilized with UV light. The almost pure water is dumped into the sea, the solids are collected, pressed to get the last water out of them, and then finally dumped into boxes for shipment to and disposal in the United States.
 
2. What way does the water swirl when it runs down the sink/toilet?  The coriolis effect should make it counter clockwise.
 
Yes- it is counterclockwise here.
 
3. Did you pass through customs when entering into Antarctica?  What country are you in?  or is a non-country in Antarctica?
 
All international flights to New Zealand arrive in Auckland on the North Island. When I arrived I passed through customs. Non-New Zealand residents entering the country must have a return ticket or they will not be allowed. Since I am working in Antarctica I have a letter from The National Science Foundation (NSF) and the U.S. Antarctic Program (USAP) requesting a 12 month visitors visa. I showed them the letter and my passport was stamped for 12 months. I then picked up my baggage for inspection. No fresh food is allowed. All other food must be declared or it will be tossed. I had a few cans of peanuts in my baggage so I declared them and was able to keep. What's interesting is that if you are bringing in hiking boots, like I did, they must be declared and they will be inspected for dirt, seeds, etc. I scrubbed mine clean and they passed. NZ does not want any foreign matter deposited in their soil. Very understandable. I then took a domestic flight to Christchurch.
 
4. Will your income be taxed? (co-workers in Iraq were not taxed).
 
We pay regular taxes.
 
5.  Do you need money on a day to day basis or is there no need for it?
 
If you want to shop in the gedunk (store) or visit the two bars. Other than that I don't carry my wallet.
 
6. Is it possible to run out of beer?
 
Yes. When the cargo ship is in port and unloading/loading operations are ongoing the store in not allowed to sell alcohol for safety reasons. When I heard this I stocked up on beer as there are small refrigerators in each room. The ship isn't due to leave for another two weeks. A years worth of supplies (including beer and wine) are being offloaded right now.
 
7.  How many hours of day light now?
 
24!
 
8.  Which way does your compass point?
 
It doesn't point very well. Sort of like Tounces the Cat who can drive "but just not very well"! (an old Saturday Night Live skit). A compass does not work well when it is close to a pole. At the poles, a compass needle wants to point in a very specific direction - not north or south, but straight up and down - orienting itself along magnetic lines of force.



No comments:

Post a Comment