Monday, February 13, 2012

On the Ice!

On Sunday afternoon we took a shuttle to the United States Antarctic Program (USAP) extreme weather clothing distribution center. There were three large orange bags already laid out for me that included two sets of extreme weather gear. I tried on the heavy parkas, wind breaker pants, heavy long underwear, goggles and gloves. It took a long time to get everything fitted correctly. We were told to report back at 0400 Monday for the ice flight.

We went to a steakhouse for our final Christchurch meal.  An interesting thing about New Zealand is that there is no tipping. You pay the price on the menu. I have had mixed reactions to this as some servers simply deliver your food and don't return. After all there is no tipping so why ask how everything is or if you want another drink. This steakhouse could have made more money off us with another drink order but they didn't. Other places were better at it though.

Monday morning came soon and we arrived early the the clothing distribution center. All Antarctic passengers are required to wear one set of the clothing on the plane. I was looking forward to a ride on a C-17 but those have only been carrying cargo lately. The annual supply ship from California has been several weeks late due to mechanical breakdowns. So we flew on a Kiwi Air Force 757. Before boarding we were handed a box lunch and a bottle of water. The flight was a long 2500 miles and 5 hours. The flight was delayed a few times because of adverse weather on the ice. The term was "it's snowing and blowing". Upon exiting the aircraft we were hit with -12 degrees F. I haven't been that cold since my winter in St. Petersburg, Russia over 12 years ago while working the Sea Launch program.

We were taken on a 45 minute ride to McMurdo Station. What a spectacular ride! It is so clear here due to the lack of any air pollution. Simply majestic! We were taken to the dining room for orientation and room assignments. My dorm is quite sparse but suits me fine. I do have a roommate but once all the summer people leave everyone here gets there own room. I am surprised that 27 % of the current population is women.

After orientation I found my new work building and was greeted by several friendly coworkers who have been here since August. And to add more to the fun there was a new rocket launch from French Guinna that we worked! Another 22 hour day. When I left Cape Canaveral I arrived in Christchurch 37 hours later.

Styling!





McMurdo



Ivan - the Terra Bus!

Hurry up and take the picture!


Warm boots.

An Antarctic sunset  at 0200 February 14th!

































1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad. Not a bad blog to start out with. Nice pictures!

    Cary

    ReplyDelete