Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pictures around McMurdo AKA MacTown

This is my 3rd day here with the last two snowing and blowing in the afternoon. Every time I mention it being cold I get blank stares with the "you ain't seen nothing yet" look. So I'm not going to talk about the cold yet. The food so far has been very fulfilling and good. The first few days I piled it on pretty heavy but now am watching it more carefully. I have talked with people who say they gain 30 pounds over the winter! After my cross country bike ride I was down to my high school weight of 190 pounds. I feel it going up now. I did manage to jog through Christchurch two mornings and there are two gyms here that I need to find soon!

My dorm is nice and right on the bay with beautiful views of the harbor, distant mountains, and an occasional pod of killer whales. Everything is quite sparse but it's fine with me and my two duffel bags. There is also a fridge that I have stocked with San Miguel beer! Quite an upgrade from the Shackleton days and the voyage of the Endurance of 1914-1916.

Normally most of the surrounding water is ice. There have been several ice breakers preparing for the supply ship arrival.





The harbor with an "ice pier".



A view from the NASA station steps.

Offshore winds blowing hard and the snow blowing onshore.

Door to the station.


My dorm on the left.

My little space with the beautiful window view.

The room sink. There is a shower and toilet around the corner that is shared with next door. 

My view!

My view to the left a little.

The supply ship from California.


My dorm.





The road out of town to the runway and Scott Camp (Kiwi Station)

2 comments: