Friday, July 6, 2012

Odds and Ends

It's a cold one today after a few weeks of mild (-30degF) temperatures with little or no wind. The wind has come up and put the town in a deep cold grip. Today I did my usual lunch time gym routine and left the dorm bundled up except for my gym shorts. That was a mistake. By the time I got there my legs were frozen and hurting. Just me being dumb. My nose is the most vulnerable because of previous damage. In fact my face now has various frostbite marks that are permanent. I look at them as nature's souvenirs. After my workout I sprinted back to my room . This place reminds me of my navy boot-camp in Orlando, Florida back in the early '70s. We were not allowed to walk anywhere so all the recruits ran from building to building. That is done here also but for a different reason. A lot of people run! I hear that the worst part of winter is August and September. The good news is that there is more and more light on the northern horizon every day. Not much but just enough to give hope for a renewal of life.

Currently On Station
-35°C|-31°F
Temperature
-53.2°C|-63.8°F
Wind Chill
Skies: Starry with Auroras
Visibility (miles): Unrestricted with ice crystals
Winds (knots): E @ 19 gusting 28
Station Pressure:29.175 in.
Updated: Jul 07, 2012 12:06 PM
 We were requested to submit work pictures for the yearbook. Here are my two:
Work console.

Standing on the 10 meter antenna ladder. What a cool job!
I have completed my book writing about my daughter Jocelyn and mine cross country bicycle ride last year. It is now with an editor. I am still hoping Jocelyn can add some more words. My son Cary is working the maps and cover pictures.

We would like this picture on the cover.

Jocelyn took this of a Louisiana bayou. We would like this on the cover too.

Cary made this for the back cover. The wrenches will be replaced by pins which show where we stayed each night.

Speaking of bicycle riding - the Father/Daughter Adventure will hopefully continue in New Zealand. I am still working on my "off the ice" plans but looking at a 4-6 week tour of the South Island. I am pretty excited about this as it is in the top five in the world for bicycle touring.


A possible tour route.
Volleyball continues to go well with a fun group.

On the community server drive I have a space shuttle section where I place interesting articles or pictures I had saved. Someone put this into my folder - a new space ship plan. Pretty funny!
And last but not least is that the galley is now out of apples. I have been enjoying at least two a day since February. I can't believe they lasted this long.

4 comments:

  1. It's always fun to explain to people what you actually do. What a job indeed!

    Hope you find more of these space ship plans...they are very interesting. I want to start sketching like that soon. Concept development at it's finest.

    Did you ever decide which of the first two cover photos you wanted? Can't go with both! I like the second one, but the first one stands out A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't decided on the cover. Have you drawn any of the daily maps yet? I can't remember if I told you but I decided to just stick with pins on the back. No wrenches. I would like to incorporate a small shuttle though. Maybe just one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the shuttle one should be on the first day, like a launch...
    And,I like the picture of the bicycle on the rough road better than the bayou. Put that one on the title page if you like it...
    Patti is working on the book now, and I sent her a check!
    Jocelyn has notes that are from her facebook entries and those would be a clever way to join her voice with yours in the book.
    Finally catching up with your entries...
    Love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a shuttle then a bike then pins. Once in SD another shuttle and bike. Since I don't do Facebook maybe you can cut and paste all her notes.

      Delete