Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Beautiful Hike up Observation Hill

Sunday September 2, 2012 was an absolutely beautiful day. A friend and I hiked Observation Hill. This was my 5th hike up Ob Hill. My last two were in the dark. The view from the top is superb on a clear day.


Mt. Erebus

McMurdo Station and looking across McMurdo Sound.

Doggie (or penguin) poop bag stand.

The wonderful sun! Mt. Erebus on the left and Mt. Terror on the right. Directly in front is Crater Hill. Wind turbines on the right.

I haven't worn my sunglasses for over 5 months.

The memorial cross to Robert Falcon Scott and his team (Terra Nova Expedition) that perished after reaching the South Pole in 1912.



The shadow of Observation Hill.

Scott Base: population 14.


Mt. Discovery (9,000 feet): named after Robert Scott's ship during the British National Antarctic Expedition, 1901-04.


Paul talked me into an 'easier' way down Ob Hill. We ended up sliding about a third of the way down on our butts.

Taking a breather as it was pretty steep.

Sliding on the steep east face was fun.

Local art.

The helicopters have been in storage all winter. Now they are being reassembled.

My new roommate and I took down the window insulation to find solid ice inside.

The end of a perfect Sunday on the ice. The memorial "Roll Cage Mary" is on the right.

An Antarctic sunset.

The Royal Society Mountain Range.




A collection of 5 videos (total of 6 minutes) showing our Sunday hike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O165mOO7Imc&list=PLAEEF986D9BB0DAC7&feature=view_all



A NSF certificate mailed to my home.
I bought a new patch from Scott Base.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic entry with excellent pictures and you make the cold weather seem bearable with your gear and good attitude. The sun does look glorious with the blue skies and clouds....and you do need to wear those sunglasses all the time! I enjoyed the You tube video and tried to share it with my Facebook friends. They were shocked with the Code 1 conditions. I am looking forward to the box I get to open soon! The picture of your certificate looks good on this blog. Congratulations! Love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andee. It is amazing how one adapts to the cold weather. I don't feel cold now until it is under -30 degF. Three weeks!

    ReplyDelete