Monday, June 25, 2012

Mid-Winter Run

After my Sunday morning gym workout I went to the Coffee House to check in for the one mile run. I was dressed in four layers with a balaclava, neck gaiter, hat, goggles, along with stabilicers on my running shoes. All runners were required to have a headlamp. The weather was cool at a -35 degF and 20 mph wind. The first third of the course was uphill and into the wind. Running on the volcanic rocks and ice was a bit tedious but with short strides I safely made it to the first check point without rolling an ankle. After that I increased my stride until the last uphill portion. I don't think I have ever run such a slow mile at 15:47 but I finished 26th out of 31. I have never been the oldest in anything before. Yes, I was the oldest runner - I guess I'm getting old.




Pre-race. Not your typical running apparel.


In the gray pants coming up the hill to the first of three check points.

Yelling my name.

It was only a mile but a very tough mile.

My friends Matt and Joe.

I guess when your eyebrows frost over it is cold.




This says it all.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, you ran a mile faster than I can walk one on the treadmill, in freezing temperatures....and you were the oldest to finish! Good for you, and you should be proud of your fitness. I think you know how to stay safe and warm, but your choices are questionable. Have fun and be careful! Love always, Andee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mixed emotions about being the "old guy" in an event. I think I am the 7th oldest in town. Where did the years go? I think I was born a 100 years too late.

      Delete
  2. Definitely love the last picture. So true.

    ReplyDelete